In October, Saving Mothers’ Jessica Oliveira and Valerie Gruhn worked in Lake Atitlan to expand our programs in Guatemala. Here are some highlights of their work:
1) Meet Concepcion Mendoza, Saving Mothers’ first full-time on-the-ground staff starting 2014.
2) Home prenatal visits with Juana, a traditional birth attendant (comadrona).
3) SM’s team gave a lecture on family planning to health educators and auxiliary nurses at our partner clinic.
4) They also distributed over 200 birth kids and taught traditional birth attendants about best birth practices.
5) Jessica and Valerie attended a home birth with Juana, a comadrona, using the Saving Mothers’ clean birth kit.
It has been a productive trip and we look forward to implementing a 16-week curriculum for the comadronas in 2014 as well as building our Guatemala programs and partnerships.